Wednesday, May 19, 2010
Sad for a Soldier
Dr. Drew reported that we lost an American soldier in an IED blast.
Our soldier was traveling in a vehicle with the Italian military when an IED exploded, killing several and injuring others. Drew received one of the injured in his OR. She had badly broken ankles as well as a broken back. Our American soldier who lost his life for his country was also received at Drew's base. Drew took part in a ceremony to honor our fallen soldier. He said the Americans on the base, and anyone else (Italian, Bulgarian, Spaniard) who wanted to join, formed lines flanking the deceased soldier while he was moved from the hospital to the waiting ambulance which would begin the journey of returning him to the states and to his family. I think it is really awesome to hear about the support and respect our servicemen (including women) share for each other.
Again I am struck by the emotion I feel for this soldier whom I do not know and for the loss I feel for his family. This week a family is grieving for the lost life of their loved one.
We are all in debt to his selfless service. May God bless his family. I am so thankful for mine.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
hi jen, i love reading your updates on drew... you guys are ALL troopers :o)
reading this post made me think of a great movie jeremy's dad recommended to us recently, it's called "taking chance". have you heard of it? you should check it out--we got it on netflix. it chronicles the process of returning the body of an american soldier from the warfront back to his family. it's unbelievably moving... make sure you have tissues handy :o)
keep up the GREAT work!
Post a Comment