Thursday, September 24, 2009

We're G(r)O(w)ING bananas!

What we thought was an ornamental banana tree sprung some fruit out of nowhere!
Upon driving into my garage yesterday, I spied this bulge out of the corner of my eye. K and I decided to investigate the tree. We found 1 banana peeking out of the top of the bulge. Today, there are 3 (one is on the other side). We are so excited. We can't wait to eat them. I have to go online and figure out when to pick them.

My friend in San Antonio has been growing many-a-thing in her garden and has been blogging about it. Reading her posts makes me miss the days in Md. when I could take the girls down the street to Butler's Orchard. We would pick fresh fruit right from the field (vine, tree, stalk).

Now we can reap the rewards of fresh fruit on our own property and we did nothing for it. Only in so Cal baby!

4 comments:

Lis said...

OH MY GOSH! thats SO AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! IM like PRACTICALLY DYING waiting for ONE of my hundreds of plants to sprout SOMETHING! Maybe I just need to stop thinking about it and it will just HAPPEN!!! Good luck picking your bananas!!! So fun. Did you get the box today? It will be there tomorrow if you didnt.....

The Pickled Red Herring said...

NO WAY! That's awesome! And don't miss us here too much. We went to Butler's orchard this morning and the apples were already mostly gone and we spent the morning chasing the hoards of yellow jackets out of our cars! Growing your own bananas is much more exotic!

Brooke said...

that is awesome. we planted some fruit trees and i'm super excited for their fruit. banana's are so exotic!

Greg and Nicole Jensen said...

Bannanas Cool!