Monday, November 16, 2009

Family Service

I went out with the ladies on Thursday night. Lately it has been rare when I can participate in a GNO. Thursday night did not disappoint. It made up for all the ones I've missed.

I am one of those people who gets a surge of energy from a crowd. When good conversation is taking place I feed off of it like there is no tomorrow. I'm ALWAYS up for a good chat.

Somehow we got on the topic of postpartum practices: how long you stay home before returning to church, when you let others hold your baby, etc. I was telling the ladies (with all my energized, dramatic flare) that I didn't come to church after my first baby was born until 8 weeks postpartum. I couldn't remember exactly how many weeks it was with my second (we were moving across the country and my first wasn't even 2 yet). With this baby, it seemed closer to the 8-weeks mark. I wondered aloud why that was. What was I doing that kept me home for so long?

A few seconds later, I remembered ... but just the one (first) reason. I shared my story of dealing with a 2-weeks-long spinal headache. The conversation continued roughly on the same topic ... baby stuff (one of the ladies is like 8 months prego). Lots of laughter and one natural high later, we all headed home.

Once there, I thought about how I almost completely forgot about everything I went through in my most recent postpartum stage (healing from a surprise c-section; 2 weeks of a spinal headache that kicked my tail; mastitis and a 104- degree temp; a cold that we all had-except for baby). Baby is only 4 months old. It hasn't been THAT long since so much happened in a short time. But I had all but forgotten ALL of it. How was that possible?

The answer came almost immediately after I asked myself that question.

My family.

My mom, Drew's dad, and Auntie Jean (my sister in law) all took turns caring for the girls, baby, and me while Dr. Drew was at work. It was only because of their service that everything was almost
relaxing. Seriously, there was an underlying peaceful feeling through it all and still now.

What a difference family makes. What a difference it is having family nearby. For their selfless service over many days and nights this summer, thank you. It meant the world to me and my recovery.

I'm realizing I haven't mentioned Dr. Drew enough. I told him he has been more than I could have asked for. I've been so impressed with the amount of time and energy he has dedicated to our family. This last year has been our best by far.

This year there are no regrets.

3 comments:

Lis said...

awww. What a sweet post. You give me HOPE!!!! Hope that life after res WILL be the BEST LIFE EVER!!! I cant wait... and how sweet that you in Cali and can have family around.... so lucky! =)

Wilde ones said...

What a blessing to live so close to family. This last baby experience has been pretty eventful for you.

Greg and Nicole Jensen said...

I am so happy for you! I am glad that you weathered one post partum crisis after another. Thank goodness for all that help. My third was the best baby experience by far!