Saturday, March 6, 2010

Blind Faith

I read in a magazine (American Baby I think) that eating oatmeal will help milk production when you're breastfeeding.

I've eaten 1-to-2 helpings each morning for breakfast ever since (a couple of weeks now).

Yet when it comes to practicing my religion, having that same blind faith does not come as easily as downing oatmeal daily. It should. In fact, it should be even easier because when I do test my faith, I see that the promised blessings of obedience follow.

For example, when I pay my tithing, my finances don't overwhelm me. When I read my scriptures, my attitude toward getting through my day is dramatically better. My day is the same, but my attitude-how I react to things-is what changes. I have more patience when the kids spill chocolate milk on the carpet. I have more sympathy when I'm up at night with a sick child. I have more love to share with my children during the day. I have more.

Note to self: If you can faithfully down a dose of oatmeal daily for breastfeeding benefits, you can surely search the scriptures daily for spiritual benefits.

Just do it Belnap!

2 comments:

Lis said...

Oh how I think this is such a HUGE part of my problem. for me instead of turing to the scriptures and prayer- I went the opposite direction in anger. Not sure why... but THANKS! I need to hear stuff like this.

Belnap said...

I cannot believe that I haven't told you about oatmeal in the morning while nursing. I live on that stuff!! So true about faith. The V.T. message this month is on faithfully reading our scriptures and oh how I love our church for challenging us to do things that are hard for us to do. Love ya Jen!!