Monday, February 23, 2009

Unofficially Official

It's official. Drew is slotted for Iraq this Dec. It'll likely be the end of the month. He'll be there likely through the end of June. Of course, nothing in the military is official until the orders are in your hand. Sometimes that can be literally weeks or days before departure date.

We've known this day would come. In fact, we had the fortunate opportunity to more or less select the date that would work best for us (or that wouldn't work for us for the matter.) Yet I still found myself in shock and awe upon learning of the no-longer-hypothetical deployment date.

My friend just experienced the joy of her husband's return from Iraq. She has four kids (her oldest is just older than my oldest) . Get this, number 4 was born while her husband was deployed. She then flew all of them to Idaho (from Fl.) for Christmas. What a woman. (Nice shout out to you eh, Juhasz?) Now, if she can do it, I can do it. Right?

The theme of this year seems to be "someone else always has it worse." I hear that said at church. My friends and I say it to each other in conversation. I'm glad this is the year for such a theme. Such a mind set will get me far when Drew is gone next year.

An unforeseen happenstance of this deployment announcement has been the realization of how much I love my husband. In life we experience the bitter and the sweet. Usually the two take turns. Sometimes it is bitter. Sometimes it is sweet. I think next year (and in the coming months) we will see the two come hand-in-hand. Family life already feels more precious in just the last 24 hours.

So here's to the future ... I'm so grateful for the knowledge and blessing that our family will be united together forever ... for eternity. In this statement I find peace.

11 comments:

Lisa said...

Thanks for the shout out! If I can do it, so can you. You are a stronger woman than I am. Deployment just sucks though. Be grateful that you have family nearby to help out! Looking back on the months Jon was gone, I don't know how I survived, but I did and so will you! The first 2 weeks are the hardest!

Lisa said...

Okay, I totally forgot to tell you congrats on #3. Was it planned? I remember after #2 you telling me that you were NEVER having anymore kids. I am really excited for you. Having a baby is fun...when they sleep thru the night!

Brooke said...

that sucks! So will he ever have to go again after those 6 months? I wish you an easy baby number 3, and lots of support from family and friends!

tylerandmommy said...

I'm sorry to hear the deployment is real. Enjoy the time you have and you guys will be fine. :)

Breeana said...

I'm so sorry that you guys have to go through that. I hope you guys have tons of fun before he leaves and that the time he is gone flies by.

Jennifer Gilmore said...

Jen! From what Drew said - better Iraq than somewhere else, right? I hear it's a little more stable there - with actual buildings. You know we will be here for you for anything you need. Maybe you will have to move closer to us....ha! :) Take over Jean and Brian's place??? :) You are a strong woman - I hope this baby is a good one. If not - come over to my house- you can just let him/her cry it out - been there done that. I'm used to it. :)

The Pickled Red Herring said...

Go Jen! You are SUPER-MOM! All the trials make you stronger... right??? Or... absence makes the heart grow fonder? Anyway you are awesome!

Lis said...

you can do! But i still have to say IM SORRY. It sucks. THe day is coming for all of us. well, us usuhs military peeps anyway. you can do it though! Youre STRONG! Plus youll have a new baby that will keep you SO BUSY!!!! He will be home in a FLASH!!!

Roney Family said...

That is crazy! I am sorry for that! My grandmother always just told me hard things make us stronger. I always thought to myself though, i'll take the easy road and be weak! Please let me know if you need help. My girls would love to play with yours!

Megan Harris said...

Hang in there Jen and enjoy the new few months...they will fly by but cherish them! You have a lot of adventures in the next few months to celebrate as a family! I am hoping for a boy for you!!!! I always try to remember that God doesn't give us more than we can handle...He knows you can do it!

Haley said...

I don't know how you will do it. However, you are amazing- Crazy thought- Juhasz is not a common name. I was raised in Boise/Meridian Idaho and we had some great family friends by the name of Juhasz. If they know my family (blaine and ann brown) crazy small world.