Wednesday, March 4, 2009

books, awards, and adults

Anyone in California who voted is aware of Prop 8. Several of us blogged about it. Many people went out and stood on street corners to show their support for traditional marriage before the vote occurred. November 4th came and went with a majority of the voters choosing to uphold the definition of traditional marriage: between one man and one woman.

When E (our 5 year old who is in kindergarten) came home from school saying her teacher read a book about families I half listened while cleaning the clutter in my family room. Then when she said, "We learned some families have two moms and some families have two dads." I stopped in my tracks. She looked at me as if to say, "What's your opinion on this mom?" She sat patiently awaiting my response to her statement of fact. I carefully said, "That's right. Some families have two moms, and some families have two dads." Then I continued with, "But in our family, we believe marriage is only between one man and one woman." I left it at that. A couple of days later I reinforced the positive message of eternal families and how when one man and one woman go together to the temple to be married/sealed, their family will be together ... forever. I did not mention the book or anything else relating to same-sex couples.

(Hopefully at this point your mouth is wide open and you have already gasped.)

My 5 year old should NOT be introduced to this subject or any other alternative life-style issue, and neither should yours nor anyone else's. It is entirely inappropriate. My mother is an assistant principal. She like most educators is liberal. I called and chatted with her about what transpired and she said, "At the elementary age level, the school should be teaching children the norms and morals of society. You establish the base first. Then when they are old enough, kids who want to seek out information on alternative life styles can and will seek it out." I agree. Don't you?

Now let's get to the book. The author, Todd Parr, has written about 20 or so children's books. The one that was read to my child in her kindergarten class was about families. The author used animals to depict families of different sizes, shapes, and colors (he used bright, lively colors). A few of the pages illustrated actual humans in the family unit. One such page had a human family pictured along with words that said something about some families have a step-mom or step-dad and/or step-sisters or step-brothers. Two whole pages later, after the author covered other differences in families, he gingerly slipped in the problem page: "Some families have two moms. Some families have two dads." The page was split in half horizontally. Two human women were featured on the top half with a yellow background. Two human men were featured on the bottom half with a purple background.

My 5 year old picked up on the author's message in a heart beat. The problem page was in fact the ONLY page she mentioned when she got home that day. She said nothing else about any of the other cute colorful pages with poodles and people sporting similar hair dos. The author accomplished his goal. He infiltrated the innocent mind of my 5 year old. He robbed her of her innocence. He robbed our family of the opportunity to protect our child from issues beyond her ability to comprehend at this tender age of life. All this loss for the gain of the (I'm guessing here) .5% of children in the U.S. living with same-sex couples? Anyone else perplexed by the oxymoron here? Why on earth is a book of this nature in the elementary school's library? The same school that my taxes pay for. The taxes which come from members of society, which members voted to uphold the definition of traditional marriage.

Moving along (yes, the story continues) to the other not-so-nice aspect of my story. This author won an award for said book. In fact, he has won several awards. I'm not surprised that people are drawn to his colors and playful use of animals and characters to depict his subject. I am however surprised that adults with intelligence were willing to publish his work as a children's book. He could have targeted the teen audience who would be better suited to understand his subject matter. But no, he chose an audience ill equipped to process his words. What a sad agenda.

Still pressing forward by going back to the beginning, we contacted the teacher to find out exactly what the book said and what it was about. She checked it out from the school library and handed it over to me "to take home and read with (your) husband." As you can tell by what I said above, we were shocked by the content of the problem page. I returned it to the teacher and politely explained our disagreement with the book and that my husband would be asking the principal to remove it from the school library. My husband met with the principal who handed him paper work and said, "The book was bought by the district. You'll have to contact them to have it removed. It is likely in every elementary-school library in the district." When my husband inquired whether any other books by this author were in the library the principal replied that there was one more. Guess what, it- while written on a different subject- had the exact same problem page within its core.

Drew is out of town. When he returns, he'll schedule an appointment with the district representative to turn in our paper work for "requested removal of a book." If needed, we will take on the school district. I am hopeful that the adults employed by the district are more sensible than those who hand out awards to children's book authors. I am not holding my breath though. I'm keenly aware that they are educators too. After all, someone in this district thought purchasing this book was a good idea. Please let it not be the same lady we're about to establish a relationship with.

9 comments:

Jennifer Gilmore said...

I am interested to hear the outcome....

Lis said...

Okay id be so angry too! I agree with you on everything you just said and I think YOU Jen could make a good argument, you should go WITH Drew! Youre totally right! TOTALLY! I woudlnt want Lexi being read that either.

Megan Harris said...

Wow -that is horrible! And the worst part of yoru story in my opinion is all the hoops they are making you jump through to protect your daughter! It should be more cut and dry than that! Wow - we came accross a similar issue with our kids in the public school system here and ended up going with Private school partialy because of it!

Hang strong Jen - you can fight this and win....it may be a uphill battle but so worth it!

Keep us posted!

Brooke said...

Too bad you couldn't have 'lost' the book! :) I hope that you aren't headed for a big fight. I thought that was half the goal of prop 8 anyway!!

Joanna said...

Hmmmmm... as an educator, albeit a conservative one, I would wonder if there were any students in this kindergarten class who ARE living in a home with a same-sex union. From a child's perspective, I can imagine how they might feel reading something that mirrors their home life, especially because since they have no choice in this particular matter and, I'm sure, feel isolated because of it.
It seems to me, that if a teacher is addressing diversity in this manner, I would want to understand his/her motivation. If it is because there is a CHILD in this class with a need to feel understood for their diverse setting, this is one thing. If it is because a TEACHER has a particular feeling about this agenda and wishes to "educate" others about it, then that is an entire other thing.
Either way, I would not choose the private school route over this matter. I would rather my children encounter diversity and take it upon myself to educate them according to our family's beliefs, like you did Jenn, than have them encounter no diversity at all.
P.S. I liked your mom's response.

jbel said...

Joanna- Believe it or not neither is the case. No student in the class has this situation at home. Furthermore, the teacher said she is Christian and shares our belief on marriage.
I think she picked the book because it's so colorful and fun (cute animals etc.) and of course ... it won an award!
There was one girl in the class whose father died a year ago. She came home and told her mom, "Our family is still just as special, even without a dad." I'm so glad she got that out of the book. I found that other books though (Families are Forever & 93 in my Family) could have taught that little girl the same message and spared our little ones the other message.
We will suggest those books to the school district when Drew meets with the rep.
Thanks for commenting. I love having another educator's perspective, especially one as active as you in the arena!

Traylor Family said...

GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!!! More parents need to take action. It makes me scared what my little boy will be taught in just a few years when he enters into public schools. So sad. When I was a freshmean in high school I had to read a book (recommended by the district) for summer reading where in the end a 12 year old girl is molested by her father. And it went into graphic detail. To this day almost 10 years later I'm still disturbed by that. I hate that so much of what our chilren are being taught is out of our control.

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. We have had a hard time in our school with prop8 and our teacher who had a sex change!!!It is a crazy world our children have to grow up in. I find myself requesting teachers now based on their moral beliefs instead of teaching styles.

tylerandmommy said...

This sort of thing makes me want to move somewhere where they have like 5 books in the library and they are all by doctor suess. I agree that elementary age should learn about the norms of society and should never be introduced to that stuff so young. It scares me for when Tyler goes to school, but good for you for being diligent and for teaching your daughter what is right no matter what others try to teach her.