E is in 1st grade.
Due to the amount of stress I feel each night regarding homework, you'd think I was also a student. This is ridiculous.
I can hardly keep the schedule straight.
In fact, I have to constantly re-read the handout from her teacher that tells me what homework to do each night.
Let's look at tonight's load: spelling sentences, spelling pretest, math pages, required reading book, fast facts(more math), and 20 minutes of free reading.
Dr. Drew is out of town. At night I have to feed the baby, make dinner for the girls, prepare their lunches for tomorrow (since we leave the house @ 8 am and baby has to be fed b4 then), eat some dinner myself, feed the baby again and put all 3 kids down for the night (not necessarily in that order).
It was 8:15 by the time the girls got into bed. We skipped reading books of choice, we sang one song per girl. We skipped brushing teeth (I'm hoping for a blessing that no over-night cavities will form). I forgot to have them say their prayers. Again, I did manage to remember to give them dessert tonight. Funny how that item always makes the mark.
I never did get to E's 20 minutes of free reading. We didn't even do 1 minute of that. Sorry Mrs. Dow. We missed doing the fast facts sheet. I guess she'll have to actually learn how to do math at school tomorrow--heaven forbid she spend time learning there!
What really irks me about this schedule is that we can't quite get it all done and I didn't even sign her up for any extra-curricular activities. I'm glad I didn't sign myself up for any extra-curricular activities either.
This is 1st grade. It's not college. She's 6, not 16. This is elementary school, not prep school.
Do any of you remember homework in the first grade? I remember spelling words. That's it.
It's like I was telling Dr. Drew the other day, I'm left to wonder when a kid can just be a kid.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I remember having homework, but never that much. It's crazy. Teachers have so many students they dont have time to teach anymore. I wish I was patient enough for home-schooling, but I'd probably end up bald from pulling all my hair out :P
I didn't even have that much in high school. But I think I was a bit of a slacker. We got lucky this year and Micah's teacher only assigns 15 minutes of reading a night. He has a spelling list weekly and timed math tests daily, though. But parents determine how much studying their own kid needs.
Man, you really made me NOT look forward to Lexi starting school. I might just have to hire someone to come over and make sure it all gets done. SHOOT! Im sorry! Your life sounds CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Abbie was in 1st last year...she had 2 sheets of homework per night (monday-thursday) that was due the next day! And a spelling test every Friday! They did most of their work in class and what they didn't finish got added to homework...I agree that the larger class sizes are making it way harder on the teachers to get it all done in the time they have aloud. Abbie's class only had 19 last year so it was a bit more manageable! Hang in there - it will all get done and remember you ARE A GREAT MOM!
I am sorry about this. There is even research saying that homework does not accomplish what it is supposed to. I wish more teachers knew this.
When you are on your own with a newborn and school age kids it's a feat to finish the day sane. The afternoon between school and bedtime flies by (and not in the most fun way) - I say dessert every night is much deserved.
Post a Comment